2020 | USA | mins | M, Supernatural themes & violence
- Director: Robert Zemeckis (‘Cast Away’, ‘Contact’, ‘Forrest Gump’)
- Writer: Robert Zemeckis, Kenya Barris, Guillermo del Toro
- Based on Roald Dahl’s 1983 classic book ‘The Witches’
- Cast: Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci, Chris Rock, Charles Edwards, Morgana Robinson, Eugenia Caruso, Simon Manyonda
- Comedy, Kids & Family Fantasy
Younger children will have a blast but older ones will probably long for the darker undertones and deeper emotional resonances present in all of Dahl’s books.
Stefan Kyriazis, Daily Express (UK)
In late 1967, a young orphaned boy goes to live with his loving grandma in the rural Alabama town of Demopolis. As the boy and his grandmother encounter some deceptively glamorous but thoroughly diabolical witches, she wisely whisks him away to a seaside resort.
Regrettably, they arrive at precisely the same time that the world’s Grand High Witch has gathered her fellow cronies from around the globe — under cover — to carry out her nefarious plans.
Based on Roald Dahl’s 1983 classic book ‘The Witches’, the story tells the scary, funny and imaginative tale of a seven year old boy who has a run in with some real life witches!
School holiday movies
11am and 2pm:
Accompanying adults $10
You’ve gotta hand it to [Hathaway]: as the biggest, baddest witch in the land, she’s positively bewitch
Adam Graham, Detroit News
While Dahl’s books and Zemeckis’ adaptation may feel a touch too dark for some, consider that it’s actually shining a light into the shadows.
Ashlie D. Stevens, Salon.com
$5 kids meal
Collect a Monteith's voucher when you buy your tickets for a $5 kids meal (usually $9+).