USA, 2018, 130mins, M Offensive language
- Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (‘There Will Be Blood’, ‘Magnolia’, ‘Boogie Nights’, ‘The Master’, ‘Punch Drunk Love’)
- Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Lesley Manville, Vicky Krieps, Camilla Rutherford, Richard Graham, Jane Perry
- Written by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Thursday, 1ST February, 7:30PM NEW
- Saturday, 3RD February, 7:30PM
- Wednesday, 7TH February, 2PM
- Sunday, 11TH February, 5PM
- Monday, 12TH February, 7:30PM
- Sunday, 18TH February, 2PM
as puzzling and tantalizing as the subject of beauty itself, a movie quite unlike anything else we’ll see this year. East Bay Express
Director Paul Thomas Anderson and star Daniel Day-Lewis reteam, after 2007’s brilliant There Will Be Blood, for this drama set in the fashion world of 1950s post-war London.
Renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the centre of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock.
Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover.
Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis, both in peak form, use the fashion world to tackle the agony and euphoria of creation. Taking full measure of Phantom Thread may require more than one viewing. Our advice for now: just sit back and behold.