Mary Poppins Returns
USA | 2018 | G
- Directed by Rob Marshall (‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’, ‘Into the Woods’, ‘Memoirs of a Geisha’)
- Starring Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Emily Mortimer, Ben Whishaw, Angela Lansbury, Dick Van Dyke, Julie Walters, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh
- Written by David Magee (based on the books by P.L. Travers)
- Kids & Family, Fantasy, Musical, Blockbuster
- 1 Jan, Tuesday, 2PM NEW
- 2 Jan, Wednesday, 11AM
- 4 Jan, Friday, 2PM
- 6 Jan, Sunday, 11AM
- 8 Jan, Tuesday, 2PM
- 11 Jan, Friday, 11AM
- 13 Jan, Sunday, 11AM
- 14 Jan, Monday, 11AM
- 17 Jan, Thursday, 2PM
- 19 Jan, Saturday, 11AM
- 22 Jan, Tuesday, 2PM
- 23 Jan, Wednesday, 11AM
- 25 Jan, Friday, 2PM
- 29 Jan, Tuesday, 2PM
- 31 Jan, Thursday, 11AM
- 3 Feb, Sunday, 11AM FINAL
this year’s end-of-year mirth that will put a bright smile on your face.
Nathalia Aryani, The MovieMaven
Follow-up to Disney’s 1964 musical classic, this time with Emily Blunt in the lead role. Directed by Oscar-nominee Rob Marshall (Chicago).
The film is set in 1930s depression-era London (the time period of the original novels) and is drawn from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ additional seven books.
In the story, Michael (Whishaw) and Jane (Mortimer) are now grown up, with Michael, his three children and their housekeeper, Ellen (Walters), living on Cherry Tree Lane.
After Michael suffers a personal loss, the enigmatic nanny Mary Poppins (Blunt) re-enters the lives of the Banks family, and, along with the optimistic street lamplighter Jack (Miranda), uses her unique magical skills to help the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.
Mary Poppins also introduces the children to a new assortment of colourful and whimsical characters, including her eccentric cousin, Topsy (Streep)
it’s a bubbly concoction that goes down easy, and the adolescent target audience isn’t likely to nitpick.
Gary Dowell, Dark Horizons
It’s well crafted, well acted, and features some terrific live-action/animation combos.
Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor